Skip to content
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 kg boneless pork belly
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 shallots
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 1 tablespoon kalamansi sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice as thin as you can the pork belly, about 1 cm, season them with salt and pepper.
- Chop roughly the garlic.
- Halve the shallots.
- Slice the chilli pepper.
- Peel and slice the beetroots.
- Heat a non-stick heavy bottomed frying pan, over medium-high heat, fry the belly slices on both sides until browned. Work in batches if needed.
- Fry the garlic golden brown then fry the shallots, press them a bit with a wooden spoon to open up like a flower and sauté them like this.
- Return all the pork pieces fried garlic and shallots to the pan, top with the beetroot slices, sliced chilli, the kalamansi sauce and add enough water to cover them all.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for about 35-45 minutes until the beets are soft and bellies are falling apart at the fork’s touch. If needed add more water during this process in order to have enough juice to stew. Adjust with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve while hot with some steamed buttered broccoli and boiled purple potatoes.