Gong Xi Fa Cai! 恭喜发财 !
Ingredients (4 persons)
- 10 dried black mushrooms (I used black trumpet / Craterellus cornucopioides but if tou can find some shiitake its best)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 21/2 pounds fatty ground pork
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon dry wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup ginger, sliced into very thin matchsticks
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Soak the dried mushrooms in water ultil softened, then rinse.
- Chop the ginger and 2 green onions.
- Combine in a bowl the pork, egg whites, green onions, minced ginger, 3 tablespoons wine, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sugar, sesame oil, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper, mixing thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 12 parts and shape them into large meatballs.
- In a deep pot, add approximately 10 cm deep palm oil and heat it up. Fry the meatballs in the oil for 3 minutes, until they are deep golden brown but still raw in the center.
- Chop the ginger into very thin matchsticks.
- In a deep pan add the soaked black mushrooms, 4 cups chicken stock, the ginger threads, the meatballs, the rest of the wine, vinegar, sugar and 1½ teaspoons salt. Simmer for approx 30 minutes.
- Dilute the cornstarch with a bit cold water, then add to the pot and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- In the serving bowls add some Chinese cabbage leaves, then some rice or stir fried Chinese mixed vegetables, then 2-3 meatballs with some sauce and mushrooms.