February 19, 2018 by Varga László
Category Duck | Tags: duck,mushrooms,pineapple,roast,sambal oelek | No Comments
June 19, 2016 by Varga László
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 3 whole, long garfishes
- 2-3 lemons
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches of green asparagus
- 50 g butter
- Wash and clean the garfish.
- Cut them into shorter pieces in order to fit into the oven-tray. My fishes were around 3/4 meter long.
- Place the garfish pieces into the tray, squeeze the juice of a lemon over them and grind some pepper and salt onto them.
- Slice the second lemon on the top and lay the slices on top of the fish tray.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake at 150 C it about 1-1 1/2 hour until the fishes’ skins are golden brown.
- Meanwhile clean and trim the asparagus.
- Place them in an ovenproof dish, add ontop some butter slices and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the asparagus dish into the oven and bake until the fish is ready.
Category Fish | Tags: asparagus,butter,fish,lemon,oven,roast | No Comments
December 13, 2014 by Varga László
I have been recently in Ukraine in Zakarpattia – aka Subcarpathia, very nice place, very friendly people, very good food and vodka.
While I was visiting the city and browsing through the farmers market I found smoked pears, never heard of them before.
So when I came back, I had to try them and add a splash of vodka to keep the Ukrainian theme. And since it’s goose season the meat of choice was of course goose.
Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (2-4 servings):
- 2 goose legs
- 2 goose wings
- 4 bay leaves
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 10-15 smoked pears
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2-3 mild red chili peppers
- 1 large tomato
- 1 spoon of honey
- a dash of vodka, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper the goose legs and wings and place them in an ovenproof dish. Add the bay leaves and white wine,
- Place the dish with goose parts in the preheated oven at 180 C and roast the for about 1.5-2 hours, until done, and the skins are crunchy.
- Meanwhile chop finely the red peppers.
- Dice finely the tomatoes.
- Place the diced tomatoes and chopped peppers in a small pot, add a cup of water, a bit of salt and pepper, and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes until they are soft and mushy.
- In another small pot add the smoked pears and about 1 liter of water simmer over medium heat for about 30-45 minutes until the pears have soaked and soften up.
- Remove the pears and set them aside.
- In the smokey-peary liquid add the dissolved cornstarch, a dash of vodka and the honey, simmer for a minute until thickens a bit.
- Server the goose legs with some boiled potatoes, some smoked pears covered with sauce and a spoon of the chili-tomato sauce.
Category Goose | Tags: bay leaf,chili pepper,goose,honey,pears,roast,Ukrainian | No Comments