May 31, 2018 by Varga László
Ingredients (1-2 servings)
- 200 g frozen shell-less whelks
- 3 garlic cloves
- a bunch of asparagus
- 50 g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Let the whelk meat thaw and wash them in cold water.
- Chop roughly the garlic.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the chopped garlic am the whelks.Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and fry over medium low heat for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash the asparagus and cut their tips (about one third of them), keep the rest of them for the next breakfast’s omelette.
- Add the asparagus tips and about 100 ml water. Cover and steam for 7-8 minute over medium heat until asparagus is cooked and has a wild green color.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if needed. If the juices are too thin cook it down a bit for a minute.
- Serve while still hot.
Category Seafood | Tags: asparagus,butter,easy,garlic,light,quick,seafood | No Comments
February 6, 2018 by Varga László
Category Fish | Tags: easy,fish,lemon peel,quick,salmon,vodka | No Comments
August 14, 2017 by Varga László
Šaltibarščiai is one of the defining Lithuanian dishes, but also for the neighboring Latvians who call it Aukstā zupa.
It means literally cold borscht, made with kefir, if you cannot find kefir you can replace it with buttermilk.
As most Lithuanian dishes, this too is accompanied by potatoes.
First I ate it when Latvian guests prepared this delicacy for an evening with friends.
Second time I have tasted when traveling in the Baltic countries last year, in Klaipeda, yumminess in a saucer, great for hot summer days.
Last days I had some guests, of which Indre, Lithuanian girl from Vilnius. Both with her and her boyfriend, Markus, we had a great time and from one thing to another, we ended up preparing this amazing cold soup, under her supervision 😀.
Below is her recipe:
Ingredients ( 6 servings):
- 500 g potatoes
- 500 g beetroots
- 2 l kefir
- 1 bunch of green onions (about 5)
- 1 bunch of parsley leaves
- 1 bunch of dill
- 3-4 large cucumbers
- 6 eggs
- salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes with skins on. After they are boiled skin them and cut each of them in 4.
- Slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise, then each one again twice lengthwise. Cut all of these quartered cucumbers in 2 mm slices.
- Chop the parsley leaves and dill.
- Cut the green parts of green onions into 1 cm pieces.
- Pour the kefir in a large pot to hold all ingredients.
- Grate the beetroots directly into the kefir pot, stir from time to time to check if you reached the desired pinkish colour.
- Boil the eggs hard.
- Add the chopped greens – dill, parsley, cucumbers and green onions, and stir them gently into the soup. Add salt to taste.
- Add the soup to the fridge to cool down for at least half an hour.
- Serve the soup in bowls, on top cut the hard boiled eggs into smaller pieces and sprinkle some extra chopped green leaves.
On a separate small plate beside serve some of the boiled potatoes.
Category Soup | Tags: beetroot,cold,cucumber,dill,easy,green onions,keffir,light,Lithuanian,parsley,potatoes,quick,soup | No Comments