August 31, 2018 by Varga László
Category Greek, Lamb | Tags: asparagus,garlic,Greek,grilled,lamb,lemon,oregano | No Comments
July 31, 2017 by Varga László
Category Greek, salad | Tags: cherry tomatoes,cucumber,green onions,olive oil,olives,oregano | No Comments
September 17, 2014 by Varga László
As I told in a previous article, I had a short summer holiday in Greece where I ate quite a few seafood dishes, one of the favourites being the following – Shrimp Saganaki or as the Greek call it – Garides Saganaki.
I bought and brought back from Greece lots goodies – feta cheese, Kalamata olives and extra virgin olive oil.
A week ago, Shuang, a friend from China, stayed over so I cooked her the following dish. She licked her fingers
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 500 g medium shrimps (about 15-20 pieces)
- 50 ml ouzo
- 400 g cherry tomatoes, but you can use also plum or other kinds of tomatoes
- 200 g Greek feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon red peppercorns
- salt to taste
- a few bread slices for the side
- a handful of Kalamata olives for the finishing
- Chop the garlic and onion.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, or if using bigger tomatoes, dice them.
- Heat the olive oil in a smaller pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and red chilli flakes and fry until translucent and softened.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, stir and simmer over medium heat about 5 minutes, the sauce has formed.
- Add the whole shrimps, ouzo and the red peppercorns to taste and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Crumble or cut the feta cheese into cubes.
- Add the feta cheese and oregano. Cover it with a lid and simmer for another 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, in a different pan heat some olive oil and fry some rye bread to toast.
- Serve while shrimps still hot.
Category Greek, Seafood | Tags: cheese,cherry tomatoes,garlic,Greek,oregano,seafood,stew | 1 Comment