Skip to content
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg lamb
- 3 medium yellow onions
- half a lemon
- 1 head of garlic
- 200 ml red wine
- 100 ml tomato passata (thicker tomato juice)
- 4 large artichokes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop the onion.
- Chop the garlic.
- Cut the lamb into 2 cm cubes.
- In a large pot, add the fattier pieces of lamb and over low heat render them to fat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute about 5-7 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add the cubed lamb, the red wine, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil and cook over medium-low heat for about half an hour.
- Add the tomato paste, lemon juice and keep cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Clean the artichokes: Remove their outermost tough leaves.
- Using a sharp knife cut the top third part of the artichokes.
- Cut each artichoke into quarters and using a paring knife carefully remove the choke of each piece.
- Once cut and cleaned place the pieces into a bowl with lemon juice and water or directly into the stew pot, so they do not oxidize.
- After adding all the artichokes quarters cook the stew for another 20 minutes or so. Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve ornating with some chopped green garlic and a lemon wedge.