November 27, 2014 by Varga László
Ingredients (8 persons):
- 1 turkey (4-5 kg)
- 1 kg quince
- 1 kg purple/black grapes
- 4 bay leaves
- a few mild chilli peppers
- 1 kg Brussels sprouts
- 100 g butter
- 100 g fresh hazelnut kernels
- 1-2 tablespoons crushed sage
- salt an pepper to taste
- Wash the quinces and cut them in halves.
- Place the halved quinces in the oven and bake them at 200 C for about 1 hour until very fragrant and soft, melting.
- Salt and pepper the turkey inside and outside.
- Stuff the turkey’s cavity with the grapes and bay leaves.
- Get the quinces out of the oven, skin them and core them.
- Cook separately over medium-low temperature in 2 pots with some water – in one the cores and skins and in the other the soft – melted flesh, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the turkey in an ovenproof dish.
- Stuff the turkey’s cavity with the grapes and bay leaves. Sprinkle some sage over the turkey and put into the oven preheated at 180 C.
- Sieve the liquid from the pot with the seeds and skins, forming a jelly-like thicker liquid.
- Every 20-30 minutes glaze the turkey with the quince jelly.
- Roast the turkey for about 4-5 hours, depending on the weight, until the meat is done.
- Puree the melting flesh of the quince and caramelize it a bit, over medium heat, in a large frying pan, stirring constantly.
- Slice thinly the chilli peppers.
- Add the sliced chilli peppers to the caramelizing quince pan, stir-frying for another few minutes.
- Wash and clean the Brussels sprouts.
- Slice thinly the hazelnuts.
- In a wok melt the butter over medium heat, add the Brussels sprouts and hazelnut, 1/4 cup of water, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and fry for about 5 minutes until the sprouts are dark-wild green.
- Take off the lid and stir-fry for another few minutes until the water evaporates.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes before carving.
- Serve the turkey accompanied by the Brussels sprouts in a leaf of savoy cabbage as a cup and some quince-chilli gravy.
Category American, Turkey | Tags: brussels sprouts,grapes,hazelnut,holidays,oven,quince,roast,turkey | 1 Comment