Skip to content
Ingredients (3-4 servings):
- 3 long and thin Chinese eggplants, about 300-400 g
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 hot chilli peppers, maybe different kinds if you can find
- 1 red pepper – sweet
- 1 teaspoon ground lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon ground kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 3-4 shallots
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation method :
- Cut the eggplants crosswise into 7-10 cm long pieces, then halve each of these lengthwise.
- Fill a bowl with cold water and dissolve 2 tablespoons of salt in it.
- Add the eggplants to the bowl and leave them to soak out their bitterness for half an hour.
- Chop the garlic, shallots and chillies.
- Slice the sweet red pepper.
- In a steamer or a wok with little water with a lid, steam the eggplants for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Heat the oil in another wok, add the chopped garlic, chillies and shallots.
- Stir-fry over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the red pepper, lemongrass, kaffir lime and some water and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
- Add the eggplants and simmer for another minute.
- Serve while hot with some green leaves on the side.
Ingredients (1-2 servings):
- 400 g Vietnamese hard shell clams
- 300 ml elderflower cordial
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly minced
- 1 small dried red chilli
- 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 1-2 green onions
- If using frozen clams, leave them in cold water for half an hour or so.
- Wash them in two bowls of water until the water in the bowl is clear.
- Chop the garlic.
- Chop the ginger.
- Chop the dried chilli into flakes.
- Chop the green onion and parley.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Place the clams into a smaller pot, add the garlic, ginger, chilli flakes and pour the elderflower cordial just enough to cover them all with liquid.
- Squeeze the juice of a quarter of a lime.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes until the clams have opened.
- Adjust the taste with fish salt and black pepper to your liking.
- Serve with chopped green onions, chopped parsley and some lime wedges.