February 23, 2018 by Varga László
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 kg sardines (fresh or frozen)
- a bunch of parsley
- 2-3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 head garlic
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g olives
- 2 large tomatoes
- a few chili peppers
- Defroze the sardines if frozen, wash them in a colander.
- Clean and chop the garlic.
- Grate the lemons for zest.
- In a bowl mix place the grated lemon peel, half of the chopped garlic and the rosemary torn from sprigs.Add extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, whisk them a bit.
- Place the whole sardines in this bowl and cover them with the marinade and let them marinate for half an our.
- In another bowl mix the other half of chopped garlic, olive oil, chopped parsley and the juice from a lemon.
- Grill the sardines until having charred grill marks 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When ready place them on a plate and season with the garlic and parsley sauce and serve with lemon wedges.
Category Fish | Tags: chili pepper,fish,garlic,grilled,lemon,olives,parsley,sardines | No Comments
June 13, 2016 by Varga László
Ingredients (4-6 servings):
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 whole pheasant
- a pair smoked pork sausages
- 2 onions
- 600 ml apple cider
- 2-3 tablespoons pork lard
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 red hot chili pepper
- 1 garlic head
- 4 celery stick slices
- 50 ml double cream
- a few branches of thyme
for the Mashed potatoes
- 1 kg large potatoes
- 100 g butter
- 2 zucchinis
- Cut the sausages into thick slices.
- Chop the onions and the chili pepper.
- Chop the celery stalks.
- Melt the lard in a frying pan and brown the pheasant on all sides together with the sliced sausages and the whole garlic cloves.
- Place some lard from he pheasant frying into a large pot and fry the chopped onions, chili pepper and bay leaves until fragrant.
- Add the pheasant and the celery, the thyme branches, the apple cider and fill the rest of the pot with water, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring to boil, and cook over medium heat for about 2 hours until the pheasant is soft.
- About one hour into the cooking add the halved mushrooms.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove it from the cooking pot and leave it to rest about 15 minutes before cut it into pieces.
- Meanwhile add the flour diluted into a bit of water, the double cream, stir it well and cook about 30 minutes to thick up cooking juices into a gravy.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes in their skins until fork tender.
- Peel their skins and mash them, add the butter.
- Wash the zucchinis, grate them and slowly integrate them into the mashed potatoes
Category Other poultry, Stew | Tags: bay leaf,celery,chili pepper,cider,cream,garlic,pheasant,sausage,stew,thyme | No Comments
March 26, 2015 by Varga László
Ingredients (8-10 servings):
- 2 kg beef chuck
- 4 red onions
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 cans cubes tomatoes
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 4 cans black beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 4 tablespoons chili flakes (personally made by me from very hot peppers from the farmers market) or 3-4 jalapeno peppers if you find
- 2 tablespoons corn flour (best if you have the Mexican one – Masa harina, but I could not find so used regular)
- 100 ml olive oil
- 75 g dark bitter chocolate
- Dice the beef into 1 cm cubes.
- Chop the onions and garlic.
- Cut the red bell pepper in thin stripes.
- Place the beef cubes in a large bowl and season it with freshly ground pepper, salt to taste, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon cumin and 2 tablespoons of the chili powder.
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and the meat pieces spreading in one layer. Leave them to brown and caramelize, turning only after the bottom is browned.
- Repeat this procedure until all meat is fried, in batches, approximately 4 batches. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in the emptied pan, add the chopped onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat until they get soft and golden brown.
- Add the chili flakes and saute for another minute.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the tomato paste and the diced tomatoes.
- Add the corn flour, the remaining cinnamon, cumin, thyme and chili flakes to taste.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours stirring now and then, until meat is tender .
- Add the red bell pepper stripes and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chocolate pieces and stir to melt them.
- Strain the liquid from the black beans cans and add the beans to the chili. Simmer for another 5 minutes .
- Serve while still hot with some chocolate crunches on top and some extra chili peppers.
Category American, Mexican | Tags: beans,beef,chili pepper,chocolate,cinnamon,soulfood,spicy,tomatoes | 2 Comments