Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 quails
- 15 strips of bacon rashers
- the juice of half of a lemon
- 4 not very ripe peaches
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g frozen mixed vegetables
- 50-75 g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the quails thoroughly and remove any trace of feathers.
- Squeeze the lemon’s juice over the quails, then season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave them to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Bone the peaches and cut them in small pieces.
- Stuff the quails with the diced peaches.
- Carefully wrap the quails with the bacon rashers: for each quail use 2 for wrapping the around waist and one in the other direction.
- Fix the bacon strips to stay in place with wooden toothpicks.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon-wrapped quails on each side for about 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat, until nicely golden brown.
- Then place the quails in an oven-proof dish, breast sides up
and spread the remaining diced peaches around the quails. Sprinkle a dash of olive oil over the peaches.
- Place the quails’ dish in the preheated oven to 190 C and broil them for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook some frozen mixed vegetables in enough salty water.
- When tender with a bit of crisp, drain the water. melt the butter and saute the vegetables for a few minutes, season with some more salt if needed.
- Serve the quails together with the sauteed vegetables and peaches from the oven.