December 19, 2014 by Varga László
Ingredients (about 10 servings):
- 750-1000 g pork
- 2 tablespoons pork fat
- 750-1000 g pork fresh sausages
- 2 large carrots
- 1 small celery root
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 allspice berries
- 10-15 black peppercorns
- 1/2 head large Savoy cabbage
- 1 medium leek
- 2 red onions
- 1 head of garlic
- 200 ml semi sweet white wine
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt to taste
- Cut the pork meat into 2 cm thick, 5-7 cm long strips.
- Chop the onion.
- Melt the pork fat in a large pot, cast iron if available.
- Add the meat and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Add the chopped onion and continue frying for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the cleaned but still whole garlic cloves, chili flake and paprika and stir-fry for another minute.
- Slice the carrots and celery root and add to the pot.
- Add the whole black peppercorns, crushed allspice, bay leaves, mustard.
- Add the wine and enough water to cover the meat and the other ingredients.
- Slice roughly the celery stalks and leeks.
- After about 30-45 minutes of cooking add to the pot the whole sausages and the sliced celery and leeks. Add water enough to cover all the ingredients.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Chop the Savoy Cabbage and add to the cooking pot.
- Cook until cabbage is done about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve while still hot.
Category Pork, Stew | Tags: allspice,bay leaf,carrots,celery,garlic,mustard,paprika,pork,sausage,stew,wine | 1 Comment
July 4, 2012 by Varga László
Although I am not American, I prepared this dish fo my readers from America to celebrate with you:
Ingredients (3 persons)
For the Jerk Chicken Wings:
- 2 chili peppers
- 2-3 green onion
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- the juice and pulp of half a lime
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beer
- about 1kg fresh chicken wings
- 3 ears of corn
For the blueberry sauce:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 spoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chop roughly the onion, green onions and garlic cloves.
- Place in a blender the marinade ingredients: chili peppers, grated ginger, lime juice, green onions, onion, garlic cloves, allspice, vegetable oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and beer.
- Blend 2-3 minutes until it forms a smooth paste.
- Place the chicken wings in a plastic bag.
- Pour in the Jerk marinade into the plastic bag, take care that every wing will be covered with marinade.
- Place the marinade bag in the refrigerate for overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 250 C.
- Oil an oven rack then place the wings over. Spread some marinade over the wings.
- Put the rack with wings in the oven and place below a tray to catch the drippings.
- Roast them for about 40-50 minutes until they are nicely golden and crunchy. Once or twice brush some more marinade over the wings to get them an extra flavour.
- Meanwhile prepare the corn on the cob and blueberry sauce:
- Husk the corn ears, wash them then brush them with olive oil all over.
- Place them on a grill and turn them slowly until they are done all over.
- In a sauce pan add the blueberries, water and honey.
- Bring them to boil, stirring gently.
- In a cup mix the cornstarch with a little cold water, then add to the sauce pan and simmer for about 6 minutes until reaches the desired thickness.
- Serve 4-5 wings accompanied by a corn on cob and plentiful of blueberry sauce.
Category American, Chicken | Tags: 4th of July,allspice,American,blueberry,brown sugar,chicken,chili pepper,corn,garlic,ginger,green onions,honey,lime,sauce,soy sauce | No Comments
June 18, 2012 by Varga László
Category Beef, Ethnic | Tags: allspice,beef,blackberry,bread,ethnic,Finnish,gravy,jam,keffir,meatballs,onions,paprika,potato | No Comments