Skip to content
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 quails
- 15 strips of bacon rashers
- the juice of half of a lemon
- 4 not very ripe peaches
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g frozen mixed vegetables
- 50-75 g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the quails thoroughly and remove any trace of feathers.
- Squeeze the lemon’s juice over the quails, then season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave them to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Bone the peaches and cut them in small pieces.
- Stuff the quails with the diced peaches.
- Carefully wrap the quails with the bacon rashers: for each quail use 2 for wrapping the around waist and one in the other direction.
- Fix the bacon strips to stay in place with wooden toothpicks.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon-wrapped quails on each side for about 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat, until nicely golden brown.
- Then place the quails in an oven-proof dish, breast sides up
and spread the remaining diced peaches around the quails. Sprinkle a dash of olive oil over the peaches.
- Place the quails’ dish in the preheated oven to 190 C and broil them for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook some frozen mixed vegetables in enough salty water.
- When tender with a bit of crisp, drain the water. melt the butter and saute the vegetables for a few minutes, season with some more salt if needed.
- Serve the quails together with the sauteed vegetables and peaches from the oven.
Ingredients (4-6 servings):
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 whole pheasant
- a pair smoked pork sausages
- 2 onions
- 600 ml apple cider
- 2-3 tablespoons pork lard
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 red hot chilli pepper
- 1 garlic head
- 4 celery stick slices
- 50 ml double cream
- a few branches of thyme
for the Mashed potatoes
- 1 kg large potatoes
- 100 g butter
- 2 zucchinis
- Cut the sausages into thick slices.
- Chop the onions and the chilli pepper.
- Chop the celery stalks.
- Melt the lard in a frying pan and brown the pheasant on all sides together with the sliced sausages and the whole garlic cloves.
- Place some lard from the pheasant frying into a large pot and fry the chopped onions, chilli pepper and bay leaves until fragrant.
- Add the pheasant and the celery, the thyme branches, the apple cider and fill the rest of the pot with water, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring to boil, and cook over medium heat for about 2 hours until the pheasant is soft.
- About one hour into the cooking add the halved mushrooms.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove it from the cooking pot and leave it to rest about 15 minutes before cutting it into pieces.
- Meanwhile add the flour diluted into a bit of water, the double cream, stir it well and cook about 30 minutes to thick up cooking juices into a gravy.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in their skins until fork tender.
- Peel their skins and mash them, add the butter.
- Wash the zucchinis, grate them and slowly integrate them into the mashed potatoes