This is a great and healthy recipe that I was helped by a good friend of mine. I long wanted to make a teriyaki dish but never had the chance, until now 😉
Ingredients (4 persons):
For the teriyaki salmon:
- 4 pieces of salmon steak
- 2-3 tablespoons bottled teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
For the rice:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper
- 150 g mushrooms (we used pleurotus or oyster mushrooms)
- 100 g frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- a whiff of safflower
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons homemade cider
- 100 g carrots
- 100 g rocket leaves
Method of preparation:
- Wash the salmon pieces then pad them dry with paper towels.
- In a deep bowl, mix together the ingredients for the teriyaki marinade: teriyaki sauce, honey, ginger and chilli flakes.
- Add the salmon steaks to the marinade,basking both sides of each piece. Let it marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Dice the onion, pepper and mushrooms into small pieces.
- Add the oil to a pan then add the vegetables and braise them for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rice to the pan and continue the braising for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water, the cider, salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes. From time to time add a little water to have enough liquid to boil and not to stick to the pan.
- When the rice is almost done add the peas and the safflower, simmer for another 5 minutes or so until everything is tender.
- Meanwhile on a gas broiler (or a grill depending what you have at hand) grill the salmon steaks removed from the marinade, turning once. While broiling, from time to time brush some of the marinade from the bowl to the salmon pieces, to get an even more nice, caramelized glaze. At the end brush over them a layer of honey, turn up the heat and let them caramelize further for 1 minute.
- Wash the rocket leaves and let them strain of water.
- Serve on big plates each piece of salmon accompanied by vegetable rice and a handful of fresh rocket leaves.