February 19, 2018 by Varga László
Category Duck | Tags: duck,mushrooms,pineapple,roast,sambal oelek | No Comments
January 11, 2018 by Varga László
Category Duck | Tags: coke,duck,easy,garlic,ginger,potatoes | No Comments
September 10, 2014 by Varga László
I got a whole duck and wanted to cook it but since it was during the summer season of cooking stews in an open fire cast iron cattle at a friends garden, I looked to make a recipe with sauerkraut.
I bought a whole head of pickled cabbage from the farmers market along with some apples and started to cook, the recipe:
Ingredients (6-8 persons):
- 1 whole medium duck about 2 kg
- 3 medium onions
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 medium pickled cabbage – about 1.5 kg
- 250 ml white wine
- 3-4 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tarragon branches
- Cut the duck in pieces.
- On a smaller fire, fry he fattier duck parts, melting the fat in the pot. When they are golden brown, remove them from the pot.
- Dice the onions and garlic.
- Fry the diced onions and garlic in the duck fat. When translucent add the sweet paprika and stir fry it for another 15 seconds.
- Return the duck pieces to the pot, add the wine and simmer for about half hour.
- Meanwhile wash the pickled cabbage if too sour, because it can suppress the duck’s taste. Then chop the cabbage in smaller chunks.
- Peal, clean and dice the apples into 2 cm cubes.
- When the meat is half done, add the chopped pickled cabbage, apples and pour water until all the pot’s ingredients are covered by it. Add the tarragon branches, some more paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer over low heat until the cabbage has softened, stirring from time to time.
- If you like the soups more creamy, add to the plates some cream or yogurt.
Category Duck, Hungarian, Stew | Tags: apple,cabbage,Hungarian,kettle,open fire,paprika,pickles,stew,tarragon | No Comments