Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1/2 kg of white beans
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- cooking oil
- salt, pepper and sweet paprika to taste
- 2 large yellow onions
- Soak the beans for one day in cold water.
- Place the soaked beans in a but, cover them with plenty of water.
- Add salt, garlic and 2 bay leaves.
- Cook for a long time until the beans are soft. Replenish with more water when the liquid boils down.
- Take out the cooked beans from their cooking liquid and blend them with a stick blender until smooth.
- Return the mashed beans to the pot with cooking liquids and bring it back to cook over low heat and keep stirring constantly, not to stick to the bottom of the pot. Cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Slice thinly the onions.
- Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the sliced onions and some salt.
- Fry the onions over medium-low heat until softened.
- Then add about a teaspoon of sweet Hungarian paprika and continue frying until the onions are a bit crisp and golden brown.
- Serve the mashed beans topped with a spoonful of fried crispy onions and its frying oil.
- On the side, you can serve some sauerkraut if you fancy.