Ingredients (4 servings):
- 300 g herring fillets
- 1 ripe large tomato
- 50m ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green garlic
- 1 red chilli pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkle the herring fillets with salt an freshly ground pepper.
- Cut the tomato in thin wedges.
- Slice the green garlic.
- Pour the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed frying pan and add about an even amount of water.
- Heat the pan to boiling temperature and add the herring fillets, tomato wedges, green garlic and chilli peppers.
- Poach carefully the fillets over low heat flipping once for about 1 minute each side.
- Repeat these in batches, not to overcrowd the skillet.
- From time to time replenish the water that gets evaporated in the process.
- Leave the tomato slices a bit more to poach and release their juices.
- Serve the fillets together with green garlic and tomatoes, drizzled with the tomato-olive oil juices from the pan.