2014/12/26 by Varga László
Ingredients (5 servings):
- 5 eggs (one egg per serving)
- 6-8 small onions or 3-4 medium onions
- 400 g of ripe red tomatoes, I used a huge one from the farmers market
- slices of stale bread
- fresh pecorino cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- baby spinach
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 parsley roots
- 1 medium celery root with stalk and leaves
- Prepare the vegetable broth:
- Slice the roots: carrots, parsley and celery.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot, add the sliced roots and fry them for 5 minutes in the butter.
- Cover the pot with plenty of water (about 3 liters), add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 40-60 minutes until the roots are done.
- Meanwhile, clean the onions and cut into thin slices.
- Chop the celery stalk
- Wash the celery leaves and chop them coarsely.
- Peel the tomatoes by placing them for a few minutes in boiling water
- Cut them into quarters, remove the seeds and cut the flesh into cubes.
- In a pan, put a tablespoon of olive oil and virgin olive oil to soften the onions on low heat.
- Add a bit of chili flakes and cook for about 20-30 minutes until the onion is caramelized.
- Add the chopped celery stalk, pour a liter of the hot vegetable stock and keep cooking for another half an hour until the broth slowly halves.
- Add the tomato pulp, celery leaves, (baby) spinach and coarsely chopped basil. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Once this time has elapsed (the result will be that of a kind of soup but still enough “soupy”) add the eggs, one at a time, directly into the pan making sure they do not break.
- Cook them for 3-4 minutes until they become poached eggs.
- Toast the stale bread slices, i used the oven for this.
- In each bowl put a slice of toast, slices of cheese and pour over with a big spoon, acquacotta hot and one egg each.
Category Italian, Soup | Tags: , celery, cheese, eggs, italian, onions, soup, tomatoes