2014/09/25 by Varga László
Ingredients ( 8 servings):
- 400-500 g ground beef
- 1 l beef stock
- 2 medium onions
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsley roots
- 8 cloves garlic
- about 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Red pepper flakes
- 3 Romaine lettuce (you can use escarole or spinach too)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 stale/dry bread slices
- 100 ml yoghurt
- 100 g orzo pasta
- Wash the greens, remove the white, harder parts of the leaves and cut them into bigger pieces.
- Grate the carrots.
- Chop the parsley roots, garlic and 1 onion
- In a soup pot, heat about 6 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and parsley root and half of the chopped garlic and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil and cook for about half an hour until the meatballs are prepared:
- Soak the bread slices in the yoghurt for about 10 minutes, squeeze out the excessive yoghurt.
- Grate the other onion.
- Combine the ground meat, soaked bread, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated onion, remaining chopped garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly, then form the mixture into 3-4 cm balls, about the size of a walnut.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. and line up the meatballs in it.
- Roast in the preheated oven at 150 C for about 10-15 minutes until they get a bit of darkish red colour.
- Add the meatballs and orzo pasta to the soup pot and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the greens, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve while still hot and grate some extra Parmesan cheese atop.
Category Italian, Soup | Tags: , beef, cheese, italian, meatballs, soup