This is a recipe I invented for my birthday. Usually, for my birthday cooking, I use strawberries because they are in season and they taste great when bought from the farmers market, but normally I would do a chicken salad with strawberries.
But because earlier this year I had a cooking night with a friend who prepared a raw calamari salad, I was inspired by his achievement and replaced chicken with calamari.
This was only the first course, the second one will follow soon, it’s chicken. 😉
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 1 kg calamari strips
- 500 g (smaller) octopus tentacles
- 1 kg fresh strawberries
- 5-6 spring onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- a tablespoon (to taste) balsamic vinegar
- Hungarian barbeque style seasoning mix – optional
- Salt and pepper the calamari and octopus. I also added some spice mixture of Hungarian inspiration called Spicy Puszta.
- Let them rest for about 5 minutes.
- Wash the strawberries and cut them in halves.
- Cut the spring onions into 1 cm pieces.
- Grill the seafood over high heat for about 10 minutes turning them, until they get a bit charcoaled at the surface.
- Let the seafood cool down, then cut the calamari and octopus into 1 cm slices.
- Add to a bowl the strawberries, calamari, octopus and spring onions.
- Drizzle over some balsamic vinegar and stir the salad gently.