for the goose
- a large fat goose – about 4+ kg
- 2 red onions
- a bulb(head) of garlic
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground caraway
- salt and pepper
for the potatoes:
- 2 kg medium sized potatoes
- 3 large yellow onions
- half cup of lard, or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
for the cabbage:
- 1 kg red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium red onion
- half a red juicy sweet&sour apple
- Wash thoroughly the inside and outside of the goose.
- preheat the oven to 150 C.
- Cut the 2 red onions into quarters. Split the bulb of garlic into cloves, but leave them unpeeled.
- Place in the inside cavity of the goose a few garlic cloves and 1 quartered onion.
- Season evenly all the sides and insides of the goose with salt, pepper, paprika and caraway.
- Place the goose in a large enough baking tray, place besides the remaining quarters of onion and garlic cloves and pour into the tray about 1 liter water.
- Place the tray in the preheated electric oven and roast it for about 3 hours. From time to time (at least twice or thrice) baste the goose with the juices of the tray. If using gas oven, you should cover the tray for the first 2 hours with an aluminium foil. The last hour you should turn up the heat to 170 C and remove the foil if any.
- Take out the goose from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
For the Potatoes:
- Wash well the potatoes and put them in their skins into a pot with salted water. Cook until fork tender.
- Peel off their skins and with a potato masher, crush the potatoes but not all the way but only until clumpy.
- Chop roughly the yellow onions.
- Melt some animal fat in a frying pan and fry the onion until golden.
- Add the crushed potatoes and stir them thoroughly until well homogenized. Add some more lard if if too dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the cabbage:
- Chop the red onions. Slice thinly the apple.
- Cut roughly the red cabbage.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pot and caramelize 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Add the chopped onion and some more oil if needed, fry them until fragrant, stirring well.
- Add the chopped red cabbage and some water as much to about cover the cabbage.
- Simmer, stirring from time to time, until the cabbage is tender and water has evaporated mostly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the thin apple slices and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.