Ingredients (2-3 persons):
Meatballs – Lihapullat
- 250 g ground beef
- 3 slices dry bread
- 200 g kefir which substitutes the original finnish ingredient – kermaviili
- 1 egg
- 1 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Brown sauce gravy – Ruskea kastikke
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 tablespoon flour
- about 1/2 l beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 225 °C
- In a large bowl soak the bread slices in the kefir, until it reaches a harder consistency.
- Chop the onion and fry it in a pan in a bit of butter until soft, then let it cool.
- Add the egg, fried onions and seasonings to the bread-kefir dough.
- Knead the mixture thoroughly. Shape with oiled hands into balls with the size of a chestnut and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake the meatballs for about 15 minutes until golden.
- Boil the stock and keep it warm.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour, stirring until it gets golden brown.
- Pour slowly over the hot stock and whisk steadily until it remains lumpless and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the meatballs with boiled potatoes and some berry jam, I used blackberry one.