This soup is invented by the famous Hungarian cook Gundel Károly at the request of writer Mikszáth Kálmán who was from Palóc-land region, nowadays situated in northern Hungary and southern Slovakia.
Ingredients (6 persons)
- 80 dkg of beef shank ( I used some bony parts too)
- 1/2 kg frozen green beans
- 2-3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 level teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions
- 6 medium potatoes
- 200 ml sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 garlic cloves
- a few dill leaves
- Dice the onion into very small cubes.
- In a pot with little oil braise the onion.
- Dice the meat in cubes, add to the pot and fry them a few minutes in the oil.
- Then add the finely chopped garlic, spices, paprika and salt, and a little water.
- Cook until the meat is almost done, the time is not fixed as it varies with the age of the cattle.
- Peel the skins off the potatoes, dice them into 2 cm cubes.
- Add some more water to the pot and the diced potatoes.
- When the potatoes are done, add the defrosted green beans and bring it to boil for 2 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream with 2-3 spoons of soup and the flour – lump-free.
- Add this thickener to the soup and bring it to boil for 1 minute.
- Finally, sprinkle it with finely chopped dill.